Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quilting The World

After a whirlwind couple of months, Kyle coming home on R&R, getting engaged, I finally was able to give Kyle his Christmas gift.  I went the homemade route and made him a quilt.  It took a long time to finish, many frustrations (and mistakes) but I made it and I was happy to give it to him as a gift (and be finished with it!)

The quilt in total size is a queen size about 110” x 100”.  I don’t think I realized how much quilting that was until I actually laid it out.  Then I had to think of what to quilt and how, I decided to quilt the world, literally!  Then I would mark all the places we have been together.  I bought a map to trace the world onto.  After a series of tests with iron on ink, and a pen that erases when ironed I decided to trace a huge map of the world I had bought.  As you can see I tried tracing the world on the window, but by the time I was done the window and gotten so hot that the ink didn’t transfer well onto the fabric.  I traced it again on the table, it did transfer a little better but not great, so I then hand drew most of the world onto of the “wanna be” ironed on tracing.


I bought my fabric from Joann, and of course used all their awesome coupons.  Prices will remain undisclosed since it was a gift after all :)  I free motion quilted all of the countries, which was the easiest party of the entire thing.  To make is short and simple the rest of it was.... long!  Again, I made lots of mistakes and found out quilting interlock knit is a wee bit more difficult.  It is much more stretchy than cotton.  I also put the 4 elements in the corners of the map.  You can see all the photos below!















2 comments:

  1. I continue to be amazed by this quilt. I can't believe how much time, effort and love you put into it. You HAVE to enter this into the quilting expo or fair. It is spectacular and you are so inspiring! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete